20060704

(English/えいご)

1.

On my cheek
There's a little mark.

On my grandpa's cheek too
There's the same mark.

My mother told me.
I got it from grandpa,
My little mark.
So that's why I'm kind of
Proud of it.

When I'm walking down the street,
When I'm sitting on the train,
There are people
Who stare and stare at me.

I wonder why they are staring.

I guess they are jealous

Of the little mark
I got from grandpa.




2.

Me and grandpa are going
To a country called Poopo
Soon.

Grandpa says it's a hot country down south
Where they love music.

And, all the people there
Have a little mark on their cheek
He said.

I have one, and grandpa has one,
All the people in Poopo also have one,
A little mark on the cheek.




3.

It was my first time to go to Poopo,
But all the people there, even when they saw my face
They just smiled. They weren't surprised.

Some people even
Patted me on the head.

Some people even
Spoke to me in words I didn't know.

I'd never heard words like that before, but they
Sounded good, words mixed with laughter.



(omit the rest)


----------------------------------------------------
Written by Kazue Daikoku
Translated from the Japanese into English by Alexis Jones
----------------------------------------------------